D-backs' starting rotation beginning to find its form after rough start to 2014 campaign
At the time, Arizona's five-man unit led the league with the fewest quality starts and the worst ERA. They also were in the bottom five in WHIP, opponent batting average and opponent on-base percentage.
While its ranking in those respective categories hasn't exactly improved all that much, the desired results have started to come.
Since April 24, Brandon McCarthy, Bronson Arroyo, Josh Collmenter, Mike Bolsinger and Wade Miley have slowly but surely turned the proverbial corner.
The D-backs' rotation has been rather impressive over its last 10 appearances, combining to throw seven quality starts in 64.2 innings of work.
In that span, Arizona starters have gone at least six innings in nine of 10 outings, and not a single pitcher has yielded more than two walks.
It's also not surprising that as the rotation has slowly turned things around, so too has Kirk Gibson's squad.
Backed by their starters' collective 3.09 ERA, the D-backs have won three of their last four games and five of their last 10.
Although it might be a small sample size, it's certainly a step in the right direction.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.