D-backs fall to Phillies despite McCarthy's strong start: By The Numbers
Philadelphia Phillies pitcher A.J. Burnett tossed eight scoreless innings, and a first-inning run helped propel the Phillies to a 2-0 win on Sunday at Chase Field -- denying Arizona its first series win at home this season despite winning the opener and jumping out to a 5-0 lead before losing on Saturday.
D-backs starter Brandon McCarthy helped continue the team's recent run of strong starting pitching, but the Arizona offense couldn't get anything going against Burnett.
Here's a closer look at the loss, By The Numbers:
The D-backs haven't won a series at home and have won just two games at home, twice dropping a series to the Dodgers to go along with series losses to the Giants, Mets and Phillies.
Arizona third baseman Martin Prado is marred in an ugly slump, and he's recorded just two extra-base hits to go along with 10 strikeouts since April 12. His on-base percentage and batting average are both below .220 during that span.
Diamondbacks shortstops have committed three errors in Arizona's last three games after Chris Owings' throwing error in the sixth inning of Sunday's game that allowed Philadelphia to extend its lead to 2-0. Owings made a fielding error on Saturday while Cliff Pennington made one in Friday's game.
D-backs starting pitchers have now put together four straight quality starts after having just three on the season heading into Thursday's game at the Chicago Cubs.
Arizona managed just five hits against Burnett, who struck out eight and didn't allow a walk.
Arizona reliever Brad Ziegler has made 11 consecutive scoreless appearances dating to April 8. He has a 1.35 ERA this season.
McCarthy managed to strike out 12 Phillies batters for a new career high, besting his previous high of 10 in a game.
Owings has seen his batting average climb to the .311 mark thanks to a 2-for-3 performance on Sunday that saw him record his first triple of the season. He is one of only two D-backs regulars hitting better than .300, along with Paul Goldschmidt.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.