Archie Bradley continues to struggle, off to mediocre start with Triple-A Reno Aces
The right-hander gave up seven hits, four walks, and five earned runs to the Triple-A Salt Lake Bees -- a minor league affiliate of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim -- and lasted just 4.0 innings in the outing. Bradley, 21, hasn't lasted more than 4.1 innings in any of his most recent three starts.
Just two weeks ago, Bradley's agent, Jay Franklin, publicly called for the promotion of his client to the major leagues. The Broken Arrow, Okla. native has since gone 0-3 with an 8.76 ERA.
Diamondbacks starting pitchers, meanwhile, recently put together a strand of 18.2 consecutive scoreless innings and three straight quality starts. The spike in performance, of course, came as a flight from their prolonged early season struggles, which still have them mired down at the bottom of the majors in staff ERA (6.49) and home runs allowed (23).
Bradley, who is ranked Baseball America's No. 9 overall prospect, failed to make the Diamondbacks' Opening Day rotation out of spring training, pitching to a 4.32 ERA over 8.1 innings, which were spread out over three starts. Even despite his struggles at Triple-A Reno since camp broke, the Diamondbacks seemed unlikely to call him up before June 1 in order to avoid starting his service clock and expediting the date on which he would first be eligible for arbitration.
Bradley collectively went 14-5 with a 1.84 ERA in stints with Single-A Visalia and Double-A Mobile last season.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.