Updated Apr 24, 2014 - 2:55 pm
Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
Bolsinger (1-1) allowed one unearned run and four hits in 6 2-3 innings. He struck out seven and walked two.
Miguel Montero drove in two runs, and the Diamondbacks won consecutive games for only the second time this season. Addison Reed got his fifth save in six chances with a perfect ninth.
Edwin Jackson (1-2) pitched seven innings. He retired 17 of 18 batters after Bolsinger's run-scoring single in the second.
Montero hit a two-out double in the first inning for a 1-0 lead.
The Cubs got that run back right away in the bottom half. Leadoff man Emilio Bonifacio stretched a hit up the middle into a hustle double, which was reviewed when it appeared he was tagged out when he overslid the base. After a lengthy replay review, the call stood.
Following a walk, Bonifacio scored on Arizona left fielder Roger Kieschnick's error on a line drive by Anthony Rizzo.
The Cubs went on to load the bases with one out on a walk, but Bolsinger struck out Mike Olt looking and got Welington Castillo to fly out.
Cliff Pennington walked in the Arizona second and scored on Tony Campana's double. Bolsinger singled for a 3-1 lead.
Despite throwing 40 pitches through two innings, Jackson posted his longest outing since Sept. 10. He allowed five hits while walking two and striking out four.
Rizzo hit a solo home run in the eighth, his third of the season.
NOTES: Diamondbacks OF Mark Trumbo (stress fracture in left foot) was placed on the 15-day disabled list and Kieschnick was recalled from Triple-A Reno. Kieschnick made his Diamondbacks debut Thursday, starting in left field and going 0 for 4 with three strikeouts. ... OF A.J. Pollock (neck stiffness) was not in the starting lineup for a fourth consecutive game. Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said he was much improved but not where they'd like him to be. ... Cubs top pitching prospect RHP C.J. Edwards was in Chicago on Thursday to get his shoulder examined after he experienced fatigue in a bullpen session.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.