Updated Apr 23, 2014 - 11:22 am
The Yoke of Leadership
Sorry, Martin Prado, but you have got to field that grounder…and 5 errors already? All apologies Trevor Cahill, but the only area you have been consistent is in your inconsistency. Sorry, Aaron Hill, but .209 is not going to cut it…
When it comes to assigning blame to the D-backs debacle, I blame the guys that are between the white lines; they're all not getting it done and I would wager these guys would be the first ones to tell you that. Hopefully.
As a former player, the notion of blaming a coach or general manager for my performance makes me want to projectile vomit. I would never blame my coach/manager for my poor performance. It's a craven way to live: blame others for my failings!
And I wonder who the leaders are in the clubhouse? Who is stepping up? Who is playing well? Who is playing well and offering a dead-level stare at his teammates? Who is challenging their teammates to figurative (or literal) fight?
There is only one player that meets the criteria of leading the Diamondbacks: Paul Goldschmidt. He's playing well despite the malaise around him; he is recognized as the organization's best player; he has the diamond-cred to speak up.
With great power comes great responsibility…even if you're a great guy.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.