Wood, Cubs roll past D-backs: By The Numbers
Chicago Cubs pitcher Travis Wood hit a three-run home run and an RBI double to go along with a career high-matching nine strikeouts on Monday, leading the Cubs past the D-backs 5-1 at Wrigley Field.
Familiar problems continued to plague Arizona, as its lineup mustered just one run -- it came on a Mark Trumbo solo home run -- and its starting pitching again failed it.
Here's a closer look at the loss, by the numbers:
D-backs reliever J.J. Putz has been one of very few bright spots on Arizona's staff, compiling a 1.17 ERA over 7.2 innings to start the season. He's allowed just three hits and struck out eight.
Wood became the second Cubs pitcher in franchise history to strike out at least eight batters while driving in four runs of his own. He matched a career-high with nine strikeouts while going 2-for-3 at the plate with a home run, double and four RBIs.
D-backs outfielder is 0-for-13 since his return this week from the disabled list following a gruesome hip injury last season. He struck out three times Monday.
Arizona has now lost nine of its last 10 games, with its lone win coming 4-2 in extra innings over the Los Angeles Dodgers on Friday.
Wood has now stroked seven home runs in his career, making him the second-leading active pitcher behind Yovani Gallardo, who has 12.
It has been 12 days since a D-backs starting pitcher last earned a win, when Arroyo lasted five innings and allowed three runs in a 7-3 win over the San Francisco Giants on April 9.
Arroyo's ERA is now at 9.50 runs for the D-backs -- a number that actually fell from 9.95 as he allowed five runs over 5.1 innings pitched on Monday.
The Cubs and D-backs have combined for just 11 wins in 2014 -- fewer than four individual teams. Five more teams are right at the 11-win mark.
D-backs slugger Paul Goldschmidt's batting average is now at .333 after a three-hit game on Monday that raised his average by 20 points.
The teams weathered a 61-minute rain delay at the start of the game.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.