D-backs' Bolsinger struggles in first career start
They figured he could be a solid addition who could at least slow the bleeding that has seen the D-backs' rotation ERA skyrocket to the worst in baseball by about two runs.
But instead, Bolsinger contributed to the woes in his rotation debut.
The 26-year-old rookie lasted just four innings, allowing six earned runs on seven hits. In his defense, the D-backs played some shoddy defense behind him and made two errors in the Dodgers' five-run fifth inning. Bolsinger struck out five and walked one and threw just 73 pitches.
The D-backs staked Bolsinger to a 4-0 lead thanks to a four-run third inning, but the Dodgers responded with eight unanswered en route to an 8-6 win. Bolsinger has a 10.29 ERA in two appearances with Arizona this season, the first of which came in relief before making his first career start on Saturday.
Bolsinger picked up his first career hit before coming around to score on a Paul Goldschmidt single in the D-backs' four-run third inning.
- Dose of Venom: Nuño denied first NL victory, D-backs bullpen implodes in crushing loss to Pirates
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.