D-backs' Bolsinger struggles in first career start
They figured he could be a solid addition who could at least slow the bleeding that has seen the D-backs' rotation ERA skyrocket to the worst in baseball by about two runs.
But instead, Bolsinger contributed to the woes in his rotation debut.
The 26-year-old rookie lasted just four innings, allowing six earned runs on seven hits. In his defense, the D-backs played some shoddy defense behind him and made two errors in the Dodgers' five-run fifth inning. Bolsinger struck out five and walked one and threw just 73 pitches.
The D-backs staked Bolsinger to a 4-0 lead thanks to a four-run third inning, but the Dodgers responded with eight unanswered en route to an 8-6 win. Bolsinger has a 10.29 ERA in two appearances with Arizona this season, the first of which came in relief before making his first career start on Saturday.
Bolsinger picked up his first career hit before coming around to score on a Paul Goldschmidt single in the D-backs' four-run third inning.
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?