D-backs lose early lead, fall to Dodgers: By The Numbers
But then they ran into a familiar foe.
Starting pitcher Mike Bolsinger allowed seven runs on seven hits in four innings in his rotation debut, and the D-backs lost 8-6 despite racing out to an early 4-0 lead in Los Angeles.
Here's a closer look at the loss, By The Numbers:
Diamondbacks pitcher Trevor Cahill has retired every batter he's faced in four relief innings the past two days, earning the save in Friday's win and tossing three innings of relief Saturday after being relegated to the bullpen following an atrocious start to the season.
The Dodgers answered Arizona's four-run third inning with eight runs of their own -- three in the fourth and five in the fifth.
The D-backs defense committed a pair of errors in Los Angeles' five-run fifth inning, including a botched would-be double play ball to Martin Prado that could have severely limited the Dodgers' damage.
Arizona offseason acquisition Mark Trumbo notched a pair of singles on Saturday, raising his batting average on the year to .213 -- worst among D-backs regulars.
Los Angeles slugger Adrian Gonzelez continued his torching of the D-backs, driving in two runs with a bases-loaded single and raising his RBI total against Arizona this season to 13. He has 16 RBIs on the year.
D-backs slugger Paul Goldschmidt singled Saturday, meaning he's recorded a hit in 17 of Arizona's 20 games this season.
D-backs starter Mike Bolsinger lasted just four-plus innings in his rotation debut, allowing seven hits and seven runs -- six earned -- while walking one and striking out five.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.