D-backs lose early lead, fall to Dodgers: By The Numbers
But then they ran into a familiar foe.
Starting pitcher Mike Bolsinger allowed seven runs on seven hits in four innings in his rotation debut, and the D-backs lost 8-6 despite racing out to an early 4-0 lead in Los Angeles.
Here's a closer look at the loss, By The Numbers:
Diamondbacks pitcher Trevor Cahill has retired every batter he's faced in four relief innings the past two days, earning the save in Friday's win and tossing three innings of relief Saturday after being relegated to the bullpen following an atrocious start to the season.
The Dodgers answered Arizona's four-run third inning with eight runs of their own -- three in the fourth and five in the fifth.
The D-backs defense committed a pair of errors in Los Angeles' five-run fifth inning, including a botched would-be double play ball to Martin Prado that could have severely limited the Dodgers' damage.
Arizona offseason acquisition Mark Trumbo notched a pair of singles on Saturday, raising his batting average on the year to .213 -- worst among D-backs regulars.
Los Angeles slugger Adrian Gonzelez continued his torching of the D-backs, driving in two runs with a bases-loaded single and raising his RBI total against Arizona this season to 13. He has 16 RBIs on the year.
D-backs slugger Paul Goldschmidt singled Saturday, meaning he's recorded a hit in 17 of Arizona's 20 games this season.
D-backs starter Mike Bolsinger lasted just four-plus innings in his rotation debut, allowing seven hits and seven runs -- six earned -- while walking one and striking out five.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.