Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
They were an major league-worst 4-14 on the year and had just been swept on a homestand. Moreover, they were off to a 1-8 start at Chase Field and a 1-10 start at home -- a record which includes the two games they hosted at Sydney Cricket Ground.
Following their most recent loss, a 5-2 dud to the New York Mets, who completed the sweep of the Diamondbacks with the win, pitcher Brandon McCarthy spoke on behalf of his team when he expressed his confusion with the team's start.
"I don't know what we're in need of besides playing better baseball; exorcism or something," McCarthy told the media after the game.
On Friday, the Diamondbacks were able to shake something off -- whether it was exorcism or not -- in their 4-2 win over the Dodgers.
It took 12 innings, included a blown save and pivoted on a ninth-inning wild pitch, but the Diamondbacks were able to climb out of their six-game rut. In the process, they beat the Dodgers for just the fourth time in the last 16 games and for the first time in 2014.
The Diamondbacks' last victory over the Dodgers came on Sept. 18 of 2013.
Following the 4-2 win, the Diamondbacks no longer possess the fewest wins in baseball, now tying the Houston Astros for the second-fewest, ahead of the lowly Chicago Cubs (4-11).
The Diamondbacks are now 4-3 on the road, but 1-11 at home.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.