Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
They were an major league-worst 4-14 on the year and had just been swept on a homestand. Moreover, they were off to a 1-8 start at Chase Field and a 1-10 start at home -- a record which includes the two games they hosted at Sydney Cricket Ground.
Following their most recent loss, a 5-2 dud to the New York Mets, who completed the sweep of the Diamondbacks with the win, pitcher Brandon McCarthy spoke on behalf of his team when he expressed his confusion with the team's start.
"I don't know what we're in need of besides playing better baseball; exorcism or something," McCarthy told the media after the game.
On Friday, the Diamondbacks were able to shake something off -- whether it was exorcism or not -- in their 4-2 win over the Dodgers.
It took 12 innings, included a blown save and pivoted on a ninth-inning wild pitch, but the Diamondbacks were able to climb out of their six-game rut. In the process, they beat the Dodgers for just the fourth time in the last 16 games and for the first time in 2014.
The Diamondbacks' last victory over the Dodgers came on Sept. 18 of 2013.
Following the 4-2 win, the Diamondbacks no longer possess the fewest wins in baseball, now tying the Houston Astros for the second-fewest, ahead of the lowly Chicago Cubs (4-11).
The Diamondbacks are now 4-3 on the road, but 1-11 at home.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.