Updated Apr 17, 2014 - 4:35 pm
ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
Pitching, defense, hitting -- it's all been pretty bad.
"This team should not be going through this," ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday. "And yet it seems across the board they're not doing anything right.
"Bullpen, rotation, they're not swinging the bat, they're not running the bases very well. This is a collaborative effort."
Entering play Thursday, the D-backs ranked 24th in baseball in on-base percentage and 30th in ERA. Their batters have struck out 139 times, which is third most in MLB, and their 15 errors are tied for second most.
Outside of Paul Goldschmidt, Chris Owings and maybe Mark Trumbo, it's tough to find a real bright spot.
And while Kurkjian was not ready to declare the D-backs officially dead, he said "it doesn't look good at all right now."
Ain't that the truth.
Unless things turn around -- and soon -- the focus will likely turn to whether or not the front office will hold anyone accountable for what is happening on the field.
Generally speaking, the finger would likely be pointed at manager Kirk Gibson and general manager Kevin Towers, though up to this point parting with either does not seem to be an option the team is considering.
But as Kurkjian said, the team cannot afford to let things spiral out of control much longer without making a move.
"This can't go on for another month," he said. "In other words, if they keep losing at this pace and playing like this, something is going to have to happen."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.