Updated Apr 17, 2014 - 4:35 pm
ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
Pitching, defense, hitting -- it's all been pretty bad.
"This team should not be going through this," ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday. "And yet it seems across the board they're not doing anything right.
"Bullpen, rotation, they're not swinging the bat, they're not running the bases very well. This is a collaborative effort."
Entering play Thursday, the D-backs ranked 24th in baseball in on-base percentage and 30th in ERA. Their batters have struck out 139 times, which is third most in MLB, and their 15 errors are tied for second most.
Outside of Paul Goldschmidt, Chris Owings and maybe Mark Trumbo, it's tough to find a real bright spot.
And while Kurkjian was not ready to declare the D-backs officially dead, he said "it doesn't look good at all right now."
Ain't that the truth.
Unless things turn around -- and soon -- the focus will likely turn to whether or not the front office will hold anyone accountable for what is happening on the field.
Generally speaking, the finger would likely be pointed at manager Kirk Gibson and general manager Kevin Towers, though up to this point parting with either does not seem to be an option the team is considering.
But as Kurkjian said, the team cannot afford to let things spiral out of control much longer without making a move.
"This can't go on for another month," he said. "In other words, if they keep losing at this pace and playing like this, something is going to have to happen."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.