Updated Apr 17, 2014 - 9:01 am
D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
Bradley was touched up for four runs on seven hits in just 4.1 innings of work in his latest start Wednesday night -- a 4-2 loss to the Las Vegas 51s. He also walked two, threw two wild pitches and hit two batters while seeing his ERA rise to 3.31 on the season.
Bradley got into a spot of trouble in the second when he allowed back-to-back one-out singles to Zach Lutz and Matt den Dekker before uncorking a wild pitch that allowed the runners to move up to 2nd and 3rd. Right fielder Cesar Puello followed with an RBI single to right, scoring Lutz and giving Las Vegas a 1-0 lead.
The trouble continued in the third, when Bradley (1-2) walked leadoff hitter Eric Campbell and then plunked Wilmer Flores and threw a second wild pitch while facing Allan Dykstra, moving the runners up 90 feet each. Dykstra singled to center, scoring two runs -- although Dykstra was thrown out at second on the play.
After a visit on the mound, Bradley settled down a bit, retiring the next six hitters he faced. But with one out in the fifth, Flores singled and was knocked in on an RBI double by Dykstra to make it 4-1. Bradley then hit Lutz with a pitch and was lifted for reliever Derek Eitel with one out in the fourth inning.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.