Updated Apr 17, 2014 - 12:08 am
D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
Through 18 games, the Arizona Diamondbacks are 4-14 overall with a 1-11 record at home, including an 0-6 mark on their most recent homestand -- one in which they got outscored 43-16 by the Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Mets.
The starting rotation has been atrocious, recording only two quality starts to go along with a league-worst 7.82 ERA.
As far as April starts go, it doesn't get much worse than that.
Typically when a team stumbles and bumbles out of the gates as the D-backs have done so far, heads roll.
General manager Kevin Towers -- who assembled the roster with signings of Brandon McCarthy, Bronson Arroyo, Cody Ross and trades for Addison Reed, Didi Gregorius, Martin Prado, Randall Delgado and Trevor Cahill -- would potentially seem like a prime target.
As would Kirk Gibson, who after winning the 2011 Manager of the Year award, has missed the playoffs in two straight years and registered just a 166-176 record.
But speaking to CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman in a phone interview Wednesday, D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall reiterated that neither is in jeopardy of losing their respective job at the moment.
"It's far too early to say they're in jeopardy, Hall told Heyman. "I wouldn't say anybody's in trouble at this point."
It's as close to an early-season vote of confidence as the two will likely get from their boss.
But, it remains to be seen just how long it lasts for the duo, who both signed undisclosed extensions with the organization this spring.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.