D-backs GM on pitching struggles: 'I've never seen anything like it'
The general manager of a last place baseball team sounded like what you would expect a general manager of a last place baseball team to sound like this early in the season.
The Arizona Diamondbacks are 4-13 -- 1-10 at home -- and are in the midst of a season-long five-game losing streak with the possibility of having a winless homestand staring them straight in the face.
"It's been tough," Towers told Doug & Wolf Wednesday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "We didn't see this coming. This is my 32nd year in baseball, I've never seen anything like it. It's the perfect storm. I've had rotations that have struggled at times but to have all five at the same time, it's difficult.
"We scratch our heads every night. It's like Groundhog Day, here we go again."
The starters have a league-worst 7.82 ERA and only have two quality starts in the 17 games they've played.
The team has changed up the rotation by replacing Randall Delgado with Josh Collmenter and will again on Saturday when Mike Bolsinger makes his first Major League start in place of Trevor Cahill. He debuted on Monday, allowing two runs on six hits in three innings in relief.
What else can the general manager do?
"To me, it's trying to really sit down with your pitching coach, your catching coach... and then simplifying things," Towers said.
Easy or not, the team is running out of options and must work through the problems.
"You have to weather this storm and ride it out, try to right this ship. Not throw your hands up and give up, [say] uncle."
Tyler Bassett, Digital Content Manager
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.