Didi Gregorius off to hot start with Triple-A Reno
After hitting .252 with a .332 on-base percentage in 103 games with the Diamondbacks in 2013, Gregorius entered spring training in a position battle at shortstop with prospect Chris Owings, last season's Pacific Coast League MVP. The 24-year-old struggled in spring training, hitting just .222 with four RBI and two doubles.
Both Owings and Gregorius got a start in the Diamondbacks' two-game series versus the Los Angeles Dodgers in Sydney, Australia, but Owings came away the eventual victor in the shortstop battle, prompting general manager Kevin Towers to option the Curaçao native Gregorius to Reno.
In 13 games and 48 at-bats with the Aces, Gregorius is hitting .354 with six extra-base hits, five RBI and an on-base-plus-slugging clip of .968. Owings, meanwhile, is faring nearly as well at the plate at the major league level, logging a .320 batting average and a .370 on-base percentage with four stolen bases.
It should be noted that Reno's circuit, the Pacific Coast League, is renowned as a hitter's league. And Aces ballpark itself is considered one of the better hitter's parks in the minor leagues, due to its high elevation of 4,400 feet. Only Coors Field sits at a higher elevation than Reno's home field among major league venues. Nine of Gregorius' first 13 games of the season have been played at Aces Ballpark.
Gregorius has also seen time defensively at second base with the Aces, per an organizational initiative to diversify his defensive competency. Nick Ahmed, a prospect making his way through the ranks since being traded to the Diamondbacks by the Atlanta Braves in 2012, has gotten the majority of the reps at shortstop, with eight of Gregorius' first 13 defensive appearances coming at second base.
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.