D-backs fall to Mets, continue skid: By The Numbers
The D-backs grabbed their first lead in four days on Miguel Montero's first-inning RBI double.
But then they couldn't hold it for even a half inning.
The Mets scored in four different innings and handed the D-backs their fourth straight loss 7-3 at Chase Field behind another woeful starting pitching performance -- this time at the hands of Josh Collmenter, who was making his first start since 2012.
Here's a closer look at the loss, by the numbers:
Arizona shortstop Chris Owings picked up two hits in four at-bats, raising his season average to .313. Owings -- more well-known for his bat than his glove -- also made a bad throwing error in the game.
D-backs catcher Miguel Montero drove in all three of Arizona's run in his first game hitting cleanup this season. He had typically been in the fifth spot, but he and the slumping Martin Prado were switched in the lineup for Monday's game.
Only one D-backs starter (Brandon McCarthy) has recorded an out in the sixth inning in eight days, when Wade Miley tossed eight innings en route to a win in Colorado. Collmenter allowed five hits and three runs in four innings of work.
Arizona right-hander Mike Bolsinger made his Major League debut in the fifth inning, though he struggled after a strong start. He struck out Eric Young Jr. as the first batter he faced, but went on to allow two runs on six hits while walking two. He will take Trevor Cahill's place in the D-backs' starting rotation.
The D-backs drew 18,099 fans to Chase Field to the game, and were outdrawn by the Phoenix Suns, who drew a sellout 18,422 next door at U.S. Airways Center.
Montero's RBI double in the first inning gave Arizona its first lead in 27 innings, as it didn't lead a single time while being swept by the Los Angeles Dodgers over the weekend.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.