D-backs' Gibson: Josh Collmenter to join rotation in place of Randall Delgado
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson announced after Friday's 6-0 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers that right-hander Josh Collmenter will replace the struggling Randall Delgado in Arizona's pitching rotation.
Collmenter emerged as a starter on the D-backs' 2011 NL West championship team, but has found a more permanent and valuable role as a swing man in the bullpen. But with the struggles of the D-backs' starters -- they've combined for an ERA over six, and Delgado sports a 10.13 ERA -- Collmenter will likely prove more valuable in the rotation.
"We need innings out of guys that give us a chance to win the ball game," Gibson said. "Just looking at our options, we think it's the smartest way to go."
Collmenter will start on Monday against the New York Mets, while Bronson Arroyo will get an extra day of rest and pitch on Tuesday. Collmenter has a 2.25 ERA in eight innings of relief this season.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.