Dodgers breeze past D-backs, win series opener: By The Numbers
The Los Angeles Dodgers made quick work of that on Friday.
On the heels of an extra-inning, series-clinching win in San Francisco on Thursday, the D-backs had a chance to put together their first winning streak of the season.
Then Adrian Gonzalez blasted a two-run home run in the first inning and added a two-run single in the third, as the Dodgers breezed past the D-backs 6-0 at Chase Field.
Here's a closer look at the loss, by the numbers:
Arizona mustered just two hits against Los Angeles starter Hyun-Jin Ryu -- both of which came from catcher Miguel Montero.
The Diamondbacks have lost three straight to the Dodgers to open the season after winning the season series against their rival in 2013.
The Dodgers' No. 3 and 4 hitters -- Hanley Ramirez and Gonzalez -- combined to go 6-for-8 and drive in all of Los Angeles' six runs.
After McCarthy's outing on Friday, D-backs starting pitchers have a 6.62 ERA with McCarthy and Trevor Cahill sporting ERAs higher than seven and Randall Delgado allowing runs at an abysmal 10.13 ERA.
D-backs starter Brandon McCarthy lasted seven innings -- the second-longest outing for an Arizona starter this season -- though that was due in large part to a gassed bullpen. McCarthy allowed 10 hits and six runs over his 96 pitches.
D-backs shortstop Chris Owings is now hitless in his last 12 at-bats, though he's still hitting .268 on the season and made several strong defensive plays Friday.
Arizona slugger Paul Goldschmidt had reached base in 31 straight games before Friday's loss.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.