Updated Apr 5, 2014 - 11:32 pm
D-backs set franchise record for worst start to a season with loss to Rockies
Not in Sydney. Not in Phoenix. Not even in the crisp mile-high air of Denver.
From poor starting pitching to sporadic offensive production to inconsistent support from the bullpen, the D-backs have been plagued by issue after issue after issue.
And sadly, it all culminated with the club hitting a new low Saturday night at Coors Field.
Despite scoring the first run of the ballgame for the first time during the week-old campaign, it ultimately wasn't enough for Arizona to get over the hump.
The Rockies, behind a trio of home runs off the bats of Nolan Arenado (2) and Michael Cuddyer (1), stormed back from a four-run deficit with nine unanswered runs over the last five innings to take their second straight from the D-backs by a final of 9-4.
With the loss, Arizona dropped to 1-7 on the season -- setting a new franchise-low for the worst record through eight games.
The previous low mark (2-6) was set by both the 1998 and 2004 incarnations of the team.
The 1998 squad finished with a 65-97 record, while the 2004 squad suffered an even uglier fate at 51-111 (franchise-worst record).
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.