Hudson sparkles in Giants debut, beats D-Backs
Hudson (1-0) was making his first start since July 24 after fracturing his right ankle against the Mets while pitching for the Braves. The veteran right-hander had four strikeouts and no walks, and had Arizona hitters pounding the ball into the ground.
Arizona starter Trevor Cahill (0-1) held the Giants scoreless until the fifth. Angel Pagan singled in a run in the fifth and Michael Morse doubled in a run in the sixth to make it 2-0.
Sergio Romo shut down the Diamondbacks in order to record his second save.
The Diamondbacks threatened only twice with Hudson on the mound.
After Hudson retired the first nine hitters, Parra led off the fourth with a single to center, moved to second on a wild pitch but was stranded when Paul Goldschmidt struck out and Martin Prado flied to center.
In the seventh, Goldschmidt led off with a double but Hudson retired Prado on a fly to right, Miguel Montero flied to left and Mark Trumbo struck out.
Hudson tossed 103 pitches and improved to 8-1 against Arizona. He is 5-1 at Chase Field.
NOTES: With his seventh inning double, Goldschmidt extended his hitting streak to 24 games, tying Tony Womack for second in franchise history behind Luis Gonzalez (30 games) . Arizona RHP David Hernandez successfully underwent Tommy John surgery on his right elbow and begins rehab in Phoenix. . Arizona OF Cody Ross, on DL since March 22, will start for minor league Triple-A Reno Thursday on rehab assignment. . Tim Lincecum will start Thursday for San Francisco and Bronson Arroyo for Arizona.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.