Hudson sparkles in Giants debut, beats D-Backs
Hudson (1-0) was making his first start since July 24 after fracturing his right ankle against the Mets while pitching for the Braves. The veteran right-hander had four strikeouts and no walks, and had Arizona hitters pounding the ball into the ground.
Arizona starter Trevor Cahill (0-1) held the Giants scoreless until the fifth. Angel Pagan singled in a run in the fifth and Michael Morse doubled in a run in the sixth to make it 2-0.
Sergio Romo shut down the Diamondbacks in order to record his second save.
The Diamondbacks threatened only twice with Hudson on the mound.
After Hudson retired the first nine hitters, Parra led off the fourth with a single to center, moved to second on a wild pitch but was stranded when Paul Goldschmidt struck out and Martin Prado flied to center.
In the seventh, Goldschmidt led off with a double but Hudson retired Prado on a fly to right, Miguel Montero flied to left and Mark Trumbo struck out.
Hudson tossed 103 pitches and improved to 8-1 against Arizona. He is 5-1 at Chase Field.
NOTES: With his seventh inning double, Goldschmidt extended his hitting streak to 24 games, tying Tony Womack for second in franchise history behind Luis Gonzalez (30 games) . Arizona RHP David Hernandez successfully underwent Tommy John surgery on his right elbow and begins rehab in Phoenix. . Arizona OF Cody Ross, on DL since March 22, will start for minor league Triple-A Reno Thursday on rehab assignment. . Tim Lincecum will start Thursday for San Francisco and Bronson Arroyo for Arizona.
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.