Updated Apr 2, 2014 - 12:50 pm
D-backs GM: No character flaws in Paul Goldschmidt
The NL MVP runner-up batted .302, hit 36 home runs and drove in 125 runs on his way to winning Silver Slugger and Gold Glove awards and was also named to his first All-Star game.
According to D-backs GM Kevin Towers, it's not only what he does on the field, but it's what he does off of it that makes him unique.
"I have not found a flaw in this guy," Towers told Doug and Wolf of Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "Every day it's something else."
Towers recalled when Goldschmidt took time after batting practice to meet and sign autographs for a little league team from Austin, Texas also named the Diamondbacks. The experience with the first baseman turned them into die-hard D-backs fans.
The news of Goldschmidt's class act even made its way to the D-backs front office.
"I walked into Derrick Hall's office and I said, ‘This is unbelievable,'" Towers said.
"It is incredible what he does on the field and who he is as a person. That's just who he is and we are incredibly, incredibly fortunate to have Paul Goldschmidt wearing that Diamondback uniform because he is an incredible role model."
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.