There's nothing instant about replay
I didn't see this coming but obviously skippers have been thinking about the implementation of baseball's new instant replay policy. Bruce Bochy certainly was. Every time there was a close call he exited the dugout and waited for confirmation from a minion that the call should be challenged or not. It wasn't that he was vehemently arguing the call, he was just waiting to challenge the call.
This was an unintended consequence. Bochy just found the loophole.
This is going to prolong games and do exactly what Bud Selig and baseball executives do NOT want to see happen. If the manager comes running out of the dugout on every close play to speak to the umpires, waiting for confirmation from the dugout, they are really going to drag out games.
Forget about bad challenges or good challenges. Forget about every other stipulation, guideline of precept for instant replay. The purpose of instant replay is to get the calls right while not bringing the pace of play to a halt. And although Bochy had every right to do what he did, there was nothing "instant" about replay.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.