D-backs GM Kevin Towers impressed with Wade Miley's Tuesday performance
The left-hander, making his second start of the season, was tagged for four runs on four hits -- the big one a three-run homer off the bat of San Francisco's resident D-backs killer Brandon Belt. Before some fans settled into their seats, Miley and Arizona trailed 4-0.
But the 2012 All-Star battled back, retiring 15 straight hitters after Belt's blast and holding the Giants scoreless over the next six innings and the Diamondbacks earned a 5-4 come-from-behind victory.
What was the big difference after the first inning for Miley?
"I think it was his tempo," D-backs general manager Kevin Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday morning. "Wade is usually good when he's getting the ball and going and I thought his tempo wasn't quite so good in the first inning, it really picked up after that and he started using all his pitches and getting his breaking ball down and out of the zone versus out over the plate."
On the night, Miley threw 92 pitches, 65 of which were strikes. Towers was impressed with his pitcher's in-game turnaround.
"That's the sign of your good pitchers. I think back to my years in the game and your good ones never give in," he said. "Even if they give up runs early, they try to shut the door from there and give your team a chance to still win.
"It was good, it was a good win."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.