D-backs GM Kevin Towers impressed with Wade Miley's Tuesday performance
The left-hander, making his second start of the season, was tagged for four runs on four hits -- the big one a three-run homer off the bat of San Francisco's resident D-backs killer Brandon Belt. Before some fans settled into their seats, Miley and Arizona trailed 4-0.
But the 2012 All-Star battled back, retiring 15 straight hitters after Belt's blast and holding the Giants scoreless over the next six innings and the Diamondbacks earned a 5-4 come-from-behind victory.
What was the big difference after the first inning for Miley?
"I think it was his tempo," D-backs general manager Kevin Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday morning. "Wade is usually good when he's getting the ball and going and I thought his tempo wasn't quite so good in the first inning, it really picked up after that and he started using all his pitches and getting his breaking ball down and out of the zone versus out over the plate."
On the night, Miley threw 92 pitches, 65 of which were strikes. Towers was impressed with his pitcher's in-game turnaround.
"That's the sign of your good pitchers. I think back to my years in the game and your good ones never give in," he said. "Even if they give up runs early, they try to shut the door from there and give your team a chance to still win.
"It was good, it was a good win."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.