Although they were right, he is an elephant, nobody thought he would move like Dumbo.
I think he's going to be okay in left field. Diamondbacks GM, Kevin Towers, told us he was a good athlete and that's why they believed he could man the position. I watch him run and agree. He went back on a ball early in the game and made it look routine, making the catch over his head with full extension. He also came in on a couple balls coming off of left-handed bats and timed his trot with the flight of the ball, perfectly creating a vertex of ball and glove. He also made a strong throw into the cutoff man late in the game that would have nailed the runner had he tried to score.
And the best part is: Trumbo has played really well. In the home opener at Chase Field he hit the ball hard most of the night. Once into the hole for a base hit, once toward the shift at first base (error Brandon Belt), then he went the other way for another line drive base hit, then a soft liner into right field…he's raking and the power will come.
He drove in two runs on three hits in the loss to the Giants. He's got six RBI on the season -- driving the ball and driving in runs.
Although he has much to learn in left, Mark Trumbo may not be the weakness many analysts believed he would be. 0-3 sucks buttermilk but Mark Trumbo doesn't.
But it is early and it is a long season, isn't it Mr. Panic When You're 0-3?
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Gerardo Parra's Arizona Diamondbacks career: By the Numbers
- Martin Prado: By the Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks call up Andy Marte and Roger Kieschnick from Triple-A Reno
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to New York Yankees
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.