Updated Mar 31, 2014 - 3:35 pm
D-backs President: A pitcher has to step up this season in place of Patrick Corbin
Corbin's absence leaves the D-backs with a starting rotation consisting of Wade Miley, Trevor Cahill, Brandon McCarthy, Bronson Arroyo and Randall Delgado.
The D-backs haven't had a 20-game winner since Ian Kennedy had a breakout season in 2011, and Diamondbacks President and CEO Derrick Hall says that since Corbin is not an option for the season, another pitcher is going to have to do what Kennedy did for the team three years ago.
After all, Hall said Kennedy is the reason the D-backs reached the playoffs that season.
"We need one of these guys to step up and have a season like Ian had, whether it is Cahill or McCarthy in a contract year, or Miley, who has certainly looked stellar in spring training," Hall told Doug and Wolf of Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
"Randall Delgado is going to be nice filling in. I think Bronson Arroyo is complete a pitcher as you can ask for. The guy is solid and he's durable. But, one of them has to step up and have a season like Ian Kennedy had in 2011. You can't have five guys who are all pitching .500 or less. You're just not going to go anywhere."
Miley, just like his team, went .500 last season, while Cahill posted a 8-10 record. Both pitchers lost their first start of the season in Australia against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
McCarthy will take the mound Monday in the first of a four-game home-series against the San Francisco Giants. Miley and Cahill will start the second and third games of the series, respectively. Arroyo is scheduled to start the fourth.
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.