Diamondbacks confirm reliever David Hernandez to have Tommy John surgery
.#Dbacks David Hernandez met w/ Dr. James Andrews today and will have Tommy John surgery tomorrow to repair right ulnar collateral ligament— Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) March 31, 2014
Word came out Friday that an MRI had revealed there was damage to the reliever's UCL, and at that point surgery was the expected outcome.
Hernandez, 28, was looking to have a bounce-back season after a disastrous 2013 that saw the once-dominant reliever sent to Triple-A for a stretch.
For his career, Hernandez has struck out 381 batters in 380.2 innings while earning 24 wins, 19 saves and an ERA of 4.14.
The right-hander will join Patrick Corbin, Matt Reynolds and Daniel Hudson as D-backs hurlers who are looking to return from Tommy John surgery.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?