Diamondbacks confirm reliever David Hernandez to have Tommy John surgery
.#Dbacks David Hernandez met w/ Dr. James Andrews today and will have Tommy John surgery tomorrow to repair right ulnar collateral ligament— Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) March 31, 2014
Word came out Friday that an MRI had revealed there was damage to the reliever's UCL, and at that point surgery was the expected outcome.
Hernandez, 28, was looking to have a bounce-back season after a disastrous 2013 that saw the once-dominant reliever sent to Triple-A for a stretch.
For his career, Hernandez has struck out 381 batters in 380.2 innings while earning 24 wins, 19 saves and an ERA of 4.14.
The right-hander will join Patrick Corbin, Matt Reynolds and Daniel Hudson as D-backs hurlers who are looking to return from Tommy John surgery.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.