Diamondbacks confirm reliever David Hernandez to have Tommy John surgery
.#Dbacks David Hernandez met w/ Dr. James Andrews today and will have Tommy John surgery tomorrow to repair right ulnar collateral ligament— Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) March 31, 2014
Word came out Friday that an MRI had revealed there was damage to the reliever's UCL, and at that point surgery was the expected outcome.
Hernandez, 28, was looking to have a bounce-back season after a disastrous 2013 that saw the once-dominant reliever sent to Triple-A for a stretch.
For his career, Hernandez has struck out 381 batters in 380.2 innings while earning 24 wins, 19 saves and an ERA of 4.14.
The right-hander will join Patrick Corbin, Matt Reynolds and Daniel Hudson as D-backs hurlers who are looking to return from Tommy John surgery.
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.