Diamondbacks confirm reliever David Hernandez to have Tommy John surgery
.#Dbacks David Hernandez met w/ Dr. James Andrews today and will have Tommy John surgery tomorrow to repair right ulnar collateral ligament— Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) March 31, 2014
Word came out Friday that an MRI had revealed there was damage to the reliever's UCL, and at that point surgery was the expected outcome.
Hernandez, 28, was looking to have a bounce-back season after a disastrous 2013 that saw the once-dominant reliever sent to Triple-A for a stretch.
For his career, Hernandez has struck out 381 batters in 380.2 innings while earning 24 wins, 19 saves and an ERA of 4.14.
The right-hander will join Patrick Corbin, Matt Reynolds and Daniel Hudson as D-backs hurlers who are looking to return from Tommy John surgery.
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.