Arizona Diamondbacks unveil 25-man roster for 2014 home opener
Of the 25 players to make the roster, 11 were not on the D-backs' big league club when they opened the 2013 season against the St. Louis Cardinals.
Because of injuries to pitcher Patrick Corbin (torn UCL), pitcher David Hernandez (torn UCL) and outfielder Cody Ross (right hip contusion), the D-backs' roster was adjusted accordingly with 13 pitchers and 12 position players.
"You never want injuries at all," Towers said. "But if it were up to me, I'd rather have it before the season starts, so you can kind of start the season with fresh and healthy people. We lost our number one starter and our setup guy. It's tough to overcome, but it happens in baseball."
Randall Delgado (TBD)
Chris Owings beat out Didi Gregorius, the incumbent, at shortstop. Gregorius will begin the season with Triple-A Reno.
"There's a little relief," Owings said. "I've been working real hard this spring. It was a long, tough competition, especially this spring with it being a little longer. I'm just excited to get that news and go on and get ready for the year."
At catcher, Tuffy Gosewisch beat out Henry Blanco for the back-up slot behind Miguel Montero. Towers noted that the team with try to move the veteran backstop, but if there isn't interest he'll become the team's seventh coach.
"I'm not sure I can express how happy I am," Gosewisch said. "I'm not sure it's set in yet. I'm really excited and glad I'm coming back Monday."
Brandon McCarthy will start the home opener against San Francisco left-hander Madison Bumgarner. He'll be followed in the rotation by Wade Miley, Trevor Cahill and Bronson Arroyo. Arizona's starter for the road opener April 4 in Colorado has yet to be determined.
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.