Brandon McCarthy to take the mound for D-backs home opener
The D-backs have named Brandon McCarthy the starter for the home opener, marking his second time starting a team's opening game in his career.
Similar to how the D-backs and the Los Angeles Dodgers started the season in Sydney, Australia, McCarthy and his former team, the Oakland A's, also opened the 2012 season with an international two-game series and an exhibition game against the host country.
McCarthy started the opener against the Seattle Mariners in Tokyo, Japan. The right-hander pitched seven innings, giving up one run on six hits while striking out three, but did not register the win.
McCarthy has a 2-0 record this spring, pitching a total of 20 innings and maintaining a 2.70 ERA in four games.
After McCarthy pitches Monday, Wade Miley, Trevor Cahill and Bronson Arroyo are scheduled to take the mound for the rest of the four-game series.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?