Updated Mar 28, 2014 - 11:19 am
D-backs reliever David Hernandez could need Tommy John surgery
First, ace lefty Patrick Corbin had Tommy John surgery earlier this week -- a procedure that will keep him out at least a year. Now, the "epidemic" has reportedly hit the bullpen and reliever David Hernandez, as Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal was first to report the pitcher also has damage in his UCL.
The team confirmed the news in a statement:
D-backs pitcher David Hernandez underwent an MRI yesterday that showed damage to the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. The team will get a second opinion this week.
Hernandez, 28, was looking for a bounce-back season after a disappointing 2013 campaign and it looked like he was headed in that direction. In eight Cactus League outings, the right-hander allowed nine hits and two earned runs over 8.1 innings for an ERA of 2.16. He had struck out five and walked just one.
Hernandez last pitched Wednesday against the Cubs at Salt River Fields, allowing one run in an inning of work in a 14-4 win.
Hernandez could join Corbin, Daniel Hudson and reliever Matt Reynolds as D-backs hurlers in recovery from Tommy John surgeries in the last year.
- Dose of Venom: Nuño denied first NL victory, D-backs bullpen implodes in crushing loss to Pirates
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.