Updated Mar 28, 2014 - 11:19 am
D-backs reliever David Hernandez could need Tommy John surgery
First, ace lefty Patrick Corbin had Tommy John surgery earlier this week -- a procedure that will keep him out at least a year. Now, the "epidemic" has reportedly hit the bullpen and reliever David Hernandez, as Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal was first to report the pitcher also has damage in his UCL.
The team confirmed the news in a statement:
D-backs pitcher David Hernandez underwent an MRI yesterday that showed damage to the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. The team will get a second opinion this week.
Hernandez, 28, was looking for a bounce-back season after a disappointing 2013 campaign and it looked like he was headed in that direction. In eight Cactus League outings, the right-hander allowed nine hits and two earned runs over 8.1 innings for an ERA of 2.16. He had struck out five and walked just one.
Hernandez last pitched Wednesday against the Cubs at Salt River Fields, allowing one run in an inning of work in a 14-4 win.
Hernandez could join Corbin, Daniel Hudson and reliever Matt Reynolds as D-backs hurlers in recovery from Tommy John surgeries in the last year.
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.