Updated Mar 28, 2014 - 11:19 am
D-backs reliever David Hernandez could need Tommy John surgery
First, ace lefty Patrick Corbin had Tommy John surgery earlier this week -- a procedure that will keep him out at least a year. Now, the "epidemic" has reportedly hit the bullpen and reliever David Hernandez, as Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal was first to report the pitcher also has damage in his UCL.
The team confirmed the news in a statement:
D-backs pitcher David Hernandez underwent an MRI yesterday that showed damage to the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. The team will get a second opinion this week.
Hernandez, 28, was looking for a bounce-back season after a disappointing 2013 campaign and it looked like he was headed in that direction. In eight Cactus League outings, the right-hander allowed nine hits and two earned runs over 8.1 innings for an ERA of 2.16. He had struck out five and walked just one.
Hernandez last pitched Wednesday against the Cubs at Salt River Fields, allowing one run in an inning of work in a 14-4 win.
Hernandez could join Corbin, Daniel Hudson and reliever Matt Reynolds as D-backs hurlers in recovery from Tommy John surgeries in the last year.
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.