Updated Mar 24, 2014 - 4:31 pm
Report: D-backs have discussed trading Didi Gregorius
General manager Kevin Towers has maintained that the Diamondbacks would hold onto both Didi Gregorius and Chris Owings, with one player starting for the big league club and the other going down to the minors.
That thinking may be changing.
According to Jon Paul Morosi of Fox Sports, the D-backs have had discussions with at least one team about a deal involving Gregorius.
Source: Pirates have had trade talks with Diamondbacks about shortstop Didi Gregorius.— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) March 24, 2014
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports tweeted there have been discussions between Arizona and other teams for Gregorius' services, as well.
some teams the dbacks have thought of as possibilities for SS didi gregorius: reds, pirates, tigers, mets, yanks— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) March 24, 2014
Gregorius, 24, was acquired by Arizona in a three-way deal with Cleveland and Cincinnati prior to the 2013 season. In 103 games last year, he batted .252 with seven home runs and 28 RBI while posting a .971 fielding percentage.
However, Gregorius struggled in Cactus League play, hitting just .205 in 39 at-bats.
In Arizona's two regular-season games in Australia against the Dodgers, Gregorius went 0-for-4 and struck out twice.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.