Updated Mar 22, 2014 - 11:32 pm
D-backs' Cahill struggles in first start of season
His lowest ERA with the D-backs since being acquired in a trade before the 2012 season is 3.78, and he racked up a 3.99 ERA last season. He boasts a strikeout-to-walk ratio of worse than 2:1, and has often battled control issues.
And it was more of the same in the D-backs' 7-5 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Saturday in Cahill's 2014 debut.
The 26-year-old right-hander lasted just four-plus innings, allowing eight hits and five runs while walking four and striking out one. He threw just 48 of 89 pitches for strikes, and the D-backs found themselves in a 1-0 hole before getting a chance to step to the plate.
The Dodgers put multiple runners on base in four separate innings against Cahill, the lone exception being a 1-2-3 second. Josh Collmenter, Joe Thatcher, Randall Delgado, Bo Schultz and Addison Reed combined for five innings of relief, allowing just one earned run and two hits while striking out six.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.