Shortstop competition no clearer for D-backs, Owings struggles in first Opening Day start
Who will be the team's starting shortstop?
Because Major League Baseball allowed both the D-backs and Los Angeles Dodgers to travel to Australia with a 28-man active roster, manager Kirk Gibson elected to take both shortstop candidates -- Chris Owings and Didi Gregorius -- with the intention of getting each one start.
Owings got the first crack at making an impression, but his first Opening Day start didn't quite go according to plan in Arizona's 3-1 loss.
The reigning Pacific Coast League Player of the Year struck out swinging twice on off-speed pitches from two-time Cy Young Award winner Clayton Kershaw and also grounded out weakly to second baseman Justin Turner.
If there was a positive for Owings it came in his final at-bat of the night when he worked a two-out walk in the ninth inning off of Kenley Jansen.
Gregorius, who is expected to start in the second game of the series against Hyun Jin-Ryu, also had a plate appearance. The 22-year-old pinch hit for Wade Miley in the bottom of the fifth inning and struck out rather quickly on four pitches.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.