Updated Mar 22, 2014 - 7:29 am
Arizona Diamondbacks left-hander Wade Miley strikes out eight in Opening Day loss
Miley, who was called upon at the last minute to replace Patrick Corbin as the D-backs' Opening Day starter, gave up three earned runs on three hits Saturday but also struck out eight batters -- tying the single-game season high he recorded three different times in 2013.
After a perfect opening inning in which he struck out the first two Dodgers batters he faced, the Arizona southpaw got into some trouble with a lead-off walk of Adrian Gonzalez in the second. Left fielder Scott Van Slyke made Miley pay three pitches later, as he belted a 1-1 fastball to the left field wall.
Because the wind was blowing in, Van Slyke's long fly ball stayed in the yard -- a result that seemed to surprise D-backs left fielder Mark Trumbo, who attempted to make a play on it only to come up noticeably empty-handed.
Two batters later, Andre Either scored Gonzalez on an RBI groundout for the game's first run.
After another perfect frame by Miley in the third inning, Van Slyke got the best of the D-backs left-hander yet again. Following a wild pitch that allowed Gonzalez to reach first on a strikeout, the Dodgers 27-year-old outfielder sliced a 1-1 offering just inside the right field foul pole for a two-run shot.
Miley didn't allow another run the rest of the evening, as he managed to get out of a bases-loaded jam in the fifth with a timely inning-ending strikeout.
In all, Miley threw 54 of his 83 pitches for strikes but took the loss for Arizona -- just his second against Los Angeles in eight career starts.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.