Updated Mar 22, 2014 - 7:29 am
Arizona Diamondbacks left-hander Wade Miley strikes out eight in Opening Day loss
Miley, who was called upon at the last minute to replace Patrick Corbin as the D-backs' Opening Day starter, gave up three earned runs on three hits Saturday but also struck out eight batters -- tying the single-game season high he recorded three different times in 2013.
After a perfect opening inning in which he struck out the first two Dodgers batters he faced, the Arizona southpaw got into some trouble with a lead-off walk of Adrian Gonzalez in the second. Left fielder Scott Van Slyke made Miley pay three pitches later, as he belted a 1-1 fastball to the left field wall.
Because the wind was blowing in, Van Slyke's long fly ball stayed in the yard -- a result that seemed to surprise D-backs left fielder Mark Trumbo, who attempted to make a play on it only to come up noticeably empty-handed.
Two batters later, Andre Either scored Gonzalez on an RBI groundout for the game's first run.
After another perfect frame by Miley in the third inning, Van Slyke got the best of the D-backs left-hander yet again. Following a wild pitch that allowed Gonzalez to reach first on a strikeout, the Dodgers 27-year-old outfielder sliced a 1-1 offering just inside the right field foul pole for a two-run shot.
Miley didn't allow another run the rest of the evening, as he managed to get out of a bases-loaded jam in the fifth with a timely inning-ending strikeout.
In all, Miley threw 54 of his 83 pitches for strikes but took the loss for Arizona -- just his second against Los Angeles in eight career starts.
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.