Updated Mar 16, 2014 - 11:35 am
D-backs pitcher Patrick Corbin to miss Australia trip due to UCL injury
Corbin, 24, left his outing prematurely on Saturday against the Cleveland Indians after feeling tightness in his left forearm. The exit came following his 91st pitch. He was scheduled to throw 100 pitches in his final spring training outing before heading to Sydney, Australia, where he was scheduled to start for the Diamondbacks in Major League Baseball's regular season opener.
Diamondbacks pitcher Wade Miley was announced Sunday as Corbin's replacement in the game, which is the first of two scheduled against the Los Angeles Dodgers in Sydney.
"Obviously, you never want to see anything like that happen to any of your teammates," Miley said Sunday prior to the team's departure for Australia later in the day. "It's unfortunate; he's a big part of this team and it stunk last night when I got the news, but I guess it's something you've got to deal with."
Miley went on to say he was "zero percent packed" on Sunday, as he previously didn't anticipate having to make the cross-continental trip.
"Whatever they want me to throw -- I'll be ready to throw 20 pitches or I'll be ready to throw 100," he said.
In four spring starts, Corbin went 1-1 with a 3.26 ERA in Cactus League play. Miley, 27, has allowed just two earned runs in 14.0 innings pitched this spring.
Significant damage, or a tear, to a pitcher's UCL may require surgical reconstruction, which is most commonly known as Tommy John Surgery.
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.