Updated Mar 16, 2014 - 11:35 am
D-backs pitcher Patrick Corbin to miss Australia trip due to UCL injury
Corbin, 24, left his outing prematurely on Saturday against the Cleveland Indians after feeling tightness in his left forearm. The exit came following his 91st pitch. He was scheduled to throw 100 pitches in his final spring training outing before heading to Sydney, Australia, where he was scheduled to start for the Diamondbacks in Major League Baseball's regular season opener.
Diamondbacks pitcher Wade Miley was announced Sunday as Corbin's replacement in the game, which is the first of two scheduled against the Los Angeles Dodgers in Sydney.
"Obviously, you never want to see anything like that happen to any of your teammates," Miley said Sunday prior to the team's departure for Australia later in the day. "It's unfortunate; he's a big part of this team and it stunk last night when I got the news, but I guess it's something you've got to deal with."
Miley went on to say he was "zero percent packed" on Sunday, as he previously didn't anticipate having to make the cross-continental trip.
"Whatever they want me to throw -- I'll be ready to throw 20 pitches or I'll be ready to throw 100," he said.
In four spring starts, Corbin went 1-1 with a 3.26 ERA in Cactus League play. Miley, 27, has allowed just two earned runs in 14.0 innings pitched this spring.
Significant damage, or a tear, to a pitcher's UCL may require surgical reconstruction, which is most commonly known as Tommy John Surgery.
- Gerardo Parra's Arizona Diamondbacks career: By the Numbers
- Martin Prado: By the Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks call up Andy Marte and Roger Kieschnick from Triple-A Reno
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to New York Yankees
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.