Updated Mar 12, 2014 - 9:00 am
D-backs' Trevor Cahill leaves early with knee injury vs. Cleveland
March 6 against Oakland, Cahill allowed six runs on eight hits in three innings of work during an 8-8 tie. After the game, manager Kirk Gibson said Cahill was 'unable to execute' and didn't follow the game plan.
Tuesday, Cahill was touched up for five runs on nine hits in 4.2 innings of work in a 7-1 loss to Cleveland. To make matters worse, the 26-year-old had to leave the game with a knee injury in the fifth inning.
"Just a little hyperextended, I think," Cahill told Burns and Gambo Tuesday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "It felt like a really bad cramp, but it went away so I was glad it was nothing serious."
The injury was suffered when Cahill covered first base on a ground ball to Paul Goldschmidt. The pitcher was a touch late off the mound and had to extend to beat Indians' second baseman Jason Kipnis to the bag. He stayed down on the field for a few moments before walking off under his own power. He was replaced by reliever David Hernandez.
"First of all, if he would have covered the bag on time, we wouldn't be talking about this right now," manager Kirk Gibson joked with Burns and Gambo later on Tuesday. "He got kind of a late break over there. I think it just kind of surprised him, to be honest with you.
"He kind of took a funny step; he half-went for the bag and I don't think he got the bag."
Gibson said Cahill was nearing his pitch limit for the day and would have been taken out anyway. The manager also said that preliminary exams didn't show any structural damage. Further exams will take place Wednesday.
"It was scary because I've had knee problems in the past," Cahill said. "I'm just glad it went away."
Cahill is scheduled to pitch the Diamondbacks' second game of the regular season against the Los Angeles Dodgers in Australia March 22. He's 6-0 with a 2.01 ERA in 10 career starts against the Dodgers.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.