Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
And maybe even better.
The right-hander has allowed three hits in 6.1 innings, striking out nine and walking four. He may not have done enough to earn a spot on the Opening Day roster, but he will be making the trip to Australia with the team to pitch in an exhibition game on March 21.
"I can't tell you how excited I am for that," Bradley told the Arizona Diamondbacks television broadcast on Fox Sports Arizona Sunday. "I just wanted to come into spring and learn, absorb as much information as I can, and just compete, see where I can end up this spring.
"I don't know when they decided this, but I feel like with what I've done here in camp and with what I've shown them, you know, they're giving me a chance to prove something and I'm going to take it head on. I'm excited and I think it's going to be a really fun time over there."
Of course, the end game for Bradley isn't pitching a meaningless game in a foreign country. No, he is supposed to be the team's ace of the future, a pitcher who will lead the rotation and team into the postseason.
And as far as his elevation to the big leagues, it seems to be a matter of when, not if. There's no rush from Bradley's end, though.
"I feel very good with where I'm at this spring and with where my arm is and where everything's going," he said. "I'm just having fun and learning a lot."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.