Updated Mar 8, 2014 - 11:10 am
Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
Perez, 32, was a free agent coming off back-to-back solid seasons with the Seattle Mariners, for whom he appeared in 94 games between 2012 and 2013. Perez and the Diamondbacks have reportedly agreed to a two-year, $4.25 million contract.
The left-handed reliever has logged a lifetime 4.53 ERA in 300 career appearances. He began his career with the San Diego Padres as a starting pitcher and he remained in that role for the Pittsburgh Pirates and New York Mets until 2012, when he arrived in Seattle.
If signed, the move will come after back-to-back days of general manager Kevin Towers watching his most notable left-handed relief pitchers struggling in Cactus League play. On Thursday, Joe Thatcher allowed a walk, a hit and an earned run in 0.2 inning pitched. And the day before, lefty Joe Paterson surrendered four hits, three earned runs and a home run in an inning of work.
Another Diamondbacks left-hander, Eury De La Rosa, has allowed two hits, three walks, two runs -- one earned run -- in 3.0 innings pitched this spring.
Last season, Thatcher filled the left-handed specialist role in the D-backs bullpen for much of the second half of the season, but struggled, logging a 6.75 ERA in 9.1 innings pitched over 22 appearances. He was acquired along with relief prospect Matt Stites in the trade that sent pitcher Ian Kennedy to the Padres.
Left-handed hitters have a .230 batting average against Perez over the course of his career.
Can confirm Dbacks adding Oliver Perez as left-handed reliever on 2-year deal— John Gambadoro (@Gambo987) March 7, 2014
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.