Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers: Bronson Arroyo out at least another 5-7 days
The 37-year-old starter, who signed with the team Feb. 7, gave up three hits and two runs (one earned) in his first start for the Diamondbacks against the Chicago Cubs last Thursday.
D-backs general manager Kevin Towers gave an update on Arroyo's status Wednesday while on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Doug & Wolf show.
"(I) talked to our docs. They did an MRI last night. He's got a little bit of a hot disc. Something that he had three years ago. Exact same area when he was with the (Cincinnati) Reds. He didn't miss any starts there," the GM said. "There could be a chance he could end up getting an epidural shot. But this guy always finds a way to post up."
Towers added that he thought Arroyo was doing "a little better yesterday" on Tuesday, but that the 14-year veteran will likely miss at least one more start.
"(The injury) might set him back a little bit. He was pretty jacked up the other day in the locker room -- wasn't moving around very well," Towers said. "More than likely, (he) probably won't be making a start out there for at least another five-to-seven days. (We will) just kind of take it day by day, just to see how the back's feeling."
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.