D-backs' GM Towers: Bradley is 'still in the mix' for rotation spot
A lot needs to be determined roster-wise between now and then by general manager Kevin Towers.
Will Chris Owings or Didi Gregorius be the starting shortstop? Who will back up catcher Miguel Montero? Will Tony Campana or Matt Tuiasosopo wrap up a reserve outfielder position?
And most importantly -- what will the starting rotation look like? More to the point, will it include rookie Archie Bradley?
"I would say he's still in the mix, like I've said from the beginning," Towers told Doug and Wolf Wednesday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "We've got depth, a lot could happen in the next couple of weeks. Knock on wood, hopefully there's not an injury, but we told this kid he's going to post up close to every fifth day and he's going to be in the mix until the end and we're going to part with who we think our best guys are."
Bradley has started just once so far this spring, but the former first-round pick definitely made an impression on anyone who saw him throw.
The Oklahoma native tossed three scoreless innings while striking out six in a 5-0 win over the Colorado Rockies Monday night.
"He certainly didn't hurt his chances the other night," Towers said. "He kind of cut through the teeth of a very strong and very good Rockies lineup and he's going to get out there in a couple days again.
"I would say it's probably doubtful for Australia, but for the San Francisco Opening Day (March 31), he's still in the mix."
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson announced earlier this week that Patrick Corbin and Trevor Cahill would be the starting pitchers against Los Angeles in Sydney, so there is no need to travel additional starters.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.