D-backs' GM Towers: Bradley is 'still in the mix' for rotation spot
A lot needs to be determined roster-wise between now and then by general manager Kevin Towers.
Will Chris Owings or Didi Gregorius be the starting shortstop? Who will back up catcher Miguel Montero? Will Tony Campana or Matt Tuiasosopo wrap up a reserve outfielder position?
And most importantly -- what will the starting rotation look like? More to the point, will it include rookie Archie Bradley?
"I would say he's still in the mix, like I've said from the beginning," Towers told Doug and Wolf Wednesday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "We've got depth, a lot could happen in the next couple of weeks. Knock on wood, hopefully there's not an injury, but we told this kid he's going to post up close to every fifth day and he's going to be in the mix until the end and we're going to part with who we think our best guys are."
Bradley has started just once so far this spring, but the former first-round pick definitely made an impression on anyone who saw him throw.
The Oklahoma native tossed three scoreless innings while striking out six in a 5-0 win over the Colorado Rockies Monday night.
"He certainly didn't hurt his chances the other night," Towers said. "He kind of cut through the teeth of a very strong and very good Rockies lineup and he's going to get out there in a couple days again.
"I would say it's probably doubtful for Australia, but for the San Francisco Opening Day (March 31), he's still in the mix."
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson announced earlier this week that Patrick Corbin and Trevor Cahill would be the starting pitchers against Los Angeles in Sydney, so there is no need to travel additional starters.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.