Updated Mar 4, 2014 - 5:21 pm
D-backs' Delgado gets by in spring win over Padres
Delgado went 3.2 innings, allowing five hits, four earned runs and two homers in an 8-6 Arizona victory.
Carlos Quentin hit a solo shot off of Delgado in the second, while teammate Yonder Alonso connected on a solo blast one inning later.
"I was feeling pretty good, but had a couple bad pitches with command or something, but I feel great," Delgado said following his outing.
Delgado threw 74 pitches in his second Cactus League start, 40 for strikes. The two pitches that were hit out of the ballpark were both fastballs, and the D-backs hurler wasn't too pleased with the location of either.
"A little bit up, perfect for hitters," he said.
Manager Kirk Gibson summed up his starter's performance.
"He got through it, he got behind in counts and gave up the home runs," he said. "But he threw the ball well, he did good."
Delgado was staked to a three-run lead before he ever toed the rubber thanks to first-inning RBI singles from Martin Prado and Matt Tuiasosopo.
The game was tied 5-5 after six innings, but the D-backs broke it open with three in the seventh on RBI doubles by Aaron Hill and Paul Goldschmidt and a Tuiasosopo sacrifice fly.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.