Updated Mar 3, 2014 - 10:06 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks prospect Archie Bradley impresses in spring debut
Pitcher Archie Bradley tossed three innings, striking out six and allowing one hit without a run on while throwing 30 pitches Monday against the Colorado Rockies. Bradley's strikeout victims included big-league regulars Michael Cuddyer, Carlos Gonzalez and Nolan Arenado.
The 21-year-old right-hander flashed a fastball in the mid- to upper-90s, according to the Arizona Republic's Nick Piecoro, and struck out the first two hitters he faced on six combined pitches. The D-backs led 1-0 when Bradley departed the game and eventually held on for a 5-0 win, allowing just three hits.
Best pitching prospect in baseball. "@nickpiecoro: Archie Bradley was 92-96 mph in the first inning. Threw a 8 of 11 pitches for strikes."— keithlaw (@keithlaw) March 4, 2014
The Rockies' SB Nation site also seemed impressed with Bradley's spring debut.
Archie Bradley looks terrific. Not looking forward to seeing this guy for a bunch of years to come.— Purple Row (@PurpleRow) March 4, 2014
Bradley is coming off of a dominant 2013 season, in which he had a combined 1.84 ERA between High-A Visalia and Double-A Mobile. He compiled a 14-5 record with 162 strikeouts in 152 innings.
The lone knock on Bradley has been his control, though that's improved each year of his career. He walked 84 batters in 136 innings during his first full professional season, and that number fell to 69 in 162 innings last season. Bradley walked two on Monday, both in a second inning that saw the Rockies leave the bases loaded.
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.