ESPN MLB writer: Not many will pick Diamondbacks to reach the playoffs
That's according to ESPN MLB writer Jerry Crasnick, who as a guest of the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta Monday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM said it would pick up if the D-backs posed a legitimate threat to them.
"If the Diamondbacks could win 90-95 games and they could have a big race right down to the finish it would certainly pick up some steam," he said. "But the Diamondbacks were a .500 team last year so I don't think it's at that point yet."
Then the question is, of course, if the D-backs will be good enough to give the Dodgers a run for the NL West.
Last season, Arizona led for much of the early part only to end up helpless as L.A. went on a historic run to claim the division.
This season, the D-backs may not be the only one with a chance to unseat the reigning champs.
"San Diego's kind of a dark horse, and Colorado if Tulowitzki and Gonzalez can stay healthy, and San Francisco is always tough," Crasnick said. "I like a lot of the elements that Arizona has, [but] they need somebody to really step up in the pitching rotation.
"Whether it's Cahill or Arroyo, I don't know that most people feel like they have a pitching rotation to compare to the Dodgers. And the Dodgers just have so much star power that if they can stay healthy, they look like a team that has the potential to win that division by eight or 10 games."
That's not to say Crasnick sees no hope for everyone else, though, and as anyone could tell you preseason predictions don't always match up with the final result.
"I think the Diamondbacks are a very intriguing team and if things go right they're a team that could be in contention for a playoff spot, but I don't think nationally there's going to be a huge number of people who are going to be picking them to get to the playoffs."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.