Updated Feb 27, 2014 - 9:56 am
D-backs' CEO Derrick Hall: Financially, team is 'very healthy'
Not only on the field, but in the front office.
According to Arizona Diamondbacks president and CEO Derrick Hall, the club is just fine in the latter category.
"(We're) very healthy," Hall told Doug and Wolf Thursday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "For the first time, we're not paying any deferred salaries, that's behind us, $250 million of deferred salaries that we've finally cleared the path of."
Hall pointed out that the D-backs are still paying retired outfielder Bernard Gilkey, who will be on the payroll until 2017.
"We're still paying him," he joked. "But that's chump change now compared to $250 million."
Another big ingredient in the organization's financial health is the continuing growth of revenues.
"It's nice that our revenues are over $200 million for the first time. Typically, what you try to do is you try to have a Major League payroll that is about half of your overall revenues," Hall said. "For us to be over $200 million and our payroll to be in the ($110 million range), we're a little bit over where we should be, but if we have a good season, we'll be fine."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.