Updated Feb 27, 2014 - 9:56 am
D-backs' CEO Derrick Hall: Financially, team is 'very healthy'
Not only on the field, but in the front office.
According to Arizona Diamondbacks president and CEO Derrick Hall, the club is just fine in the latter category.
"(We're) very healthy," Hall told Doug and Wolf Thursday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "For the first time, we're not paying any deferred salaries, that's behind us, $250 million of deferred salaries that we've finally cleared the path of."
Hall pointed out that the D-backs are still paying retired outfielder Bernard Gilkey, who will be on the payroll until 2017.
"We're still paying him," he joked. "But that's chump change now compared to $250 million."
Another big ingredient in the organization's financial health is the continuing growth of revenues.
"It's nice that our revenues are over $200 million for the first time. Typically, what you try to do is you try to have a Major League payroll that is about half of your overall revenues," Hall said. "For us to be over $200 million and our payroll to be in the ($110 million range), we're a little bit over where we should be, but if we have a good season, we'll be fine."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.