D-backs' Mike Harkey, Dave Duncan meshing in pitching leadership
It was then that he gave Diamondbacks pitching coach Mike Harkey his first crack at coaching.
"I was released by the Padres in 1998 and he called me up in the summer of 1999," Harkey recalled of Towers' call while a guest on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Burns and Gambo show.
And, after climbing the coaching ranks through the San Diego Padres and New York Yankees' farm systems, Harkey is now sitting under his old general manager -- the one who cut him -- with the Diamondbacks, as a first-year pitching coach. But he's not out on his own.
Another pitching coach decision Towers made occurred last offseason, when the general manager reached out to coaching legend Dave Duncan -- formerly of the Oakland Athletics and St. Louis Cardinals, among others. The general manager ultimately talked Duncan out of retirement and into the Diamondbacks organization, as a pitching consultant.
It's proving fortuitous for Harkey, who said Duncan's presence in the organization has provided him with "instant credibility."
"That's what it's done for me being a first-year pitching coach, is given me instant credibility," Harkey explained Wednesday. "Because Duncan and I have very similar philosophies, so when I say something or when (he) says something, it's something that we're able to reiterate on both sides… (They) may have a little bit more trust with it."
Last week, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson couldn't say enough about Harkey when he was asked about his work in the organization so far.
"It's about time," Gibson said when a reporter asked about Harkey instead of Duncan, who had gotten a lot of attention due to his legendary status.
He went on to comment on the harmonious relationship between the two and bullpen coach Mel Stottlemyre Jr.
"He's done a great job assimilating to the role."
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.