D-backs' Kirk Gibson considering not taking Patrick Corbin to Australia
The Arizona Diamondbacks will face the Los Angeles Dodgers in Sydney, Australia March 22.
The trip creates some interesting managerial challenges, no doubt. Like whom to take and whom to leave home? The Diamondbacks and Dodgers will be allowed to take 30 players each to Australia, 27 of whom will be eligible to play.
With only two games down under, and the need for only two starting pitchers, D-backs skipper Kirk Gibson has to decide on which of his starting hurlers will make the trek to Sydney.
For instance, Patrick Corbin, who was an All-Star in 2013 and led the D-backs with 13 wins. He'll likely be Arizona's number-one starter, but might not go on the trip.
"Corbin threw a lot of innings (last year), for him, so maybe it's the smart thing to leave him back," Gibson told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Tuesday. "But at the same time, he might be the best pitcher and in the end if we decide that he is, he'll go."
Corbin, 24, pitched 208.1 innings in his first full Major League season -- enough for eighth-most in the National League.
Even though the games in Australia will count in the official standings, it may not be worth it to tax the youngster with unnecessary travel. But ultimately, Gibson hasn't made his mind up just yet.
"I think we'll try to get through this first week -- we've got three double-headers, so we'll see where we're at, and we'll realign people if we have to from that point," Gibson said.
Regardless of what players are on the charter flight, Gibson says the Diamondbacks have one clearly defined goal for their trip.
"Our intention is to try and win both games."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.