Arizona Diamondbacks 'definitely ready to play games'
"We're definitely ready to play games," manager Kirk Gibson said. "The intensity and the way they've approached every day at practice has been good even though they're ready long ago."
The Diamondbacks open the Cactus League season on Wednesday with a game against the Dodgers at Salt River Fields. Brandon McCarthy will throw the first pitch at 1:10, and according to Gibson, will be on the mound four innings or 60 pitches.
"You want to extend them in preparation for what we're going to do in Australia," he said.
Here's the lineup Gibson is running out against Dodgers starter Clayton Kershaw:
Aaron Hill 2B
Paul Goldschmidt 1B
Martin Prado 3B
Mark Trumbo LF
Miguel Montero C
Matt Tuiasosopo DH
Cliff Pennington SS
Gerardo Parra RF
"We have a strong lineup," Gibson said. "We have some strong guys on the bench this year. We're going to have to keep everybody involved. I say it every year. This is legitimate guys that are going to end up on our bench. We're going to have some players that are going to have to take some time off."
The Diamondbacks will play 24 games over 19 days before leaving for Australia where they will open the regular season with two games against the Dodgers on March 22-23.
The trick, Gibson said, is giving everyone—pitchers and position players alike -- all an opportunity to play.
"We've talked a lot about this spring training, how we've kind of really focused on making sure they've had time to recover and keep them healthy," he said. "Everybody has loved it. Have you heard anybody complain about it, about the pace? It's been outstanding. My question would be why wouldn't we do that in the season as well? Why wouldn't it work there? Ultimately, we're trying to win games. We're trying to win as many games as we can. We're trying to keep guys healthy, fresh, enthusiastic; able to make the plays.
"My curiosity is what's the proper balance, how do I keep guys going. Ultimately in the end we're trying to win as many games as we can. We've got a lot of good players that I've got to integrate in. We'll buy into that. I think it'll help us out."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.